The Storytelling Studio is looking for a student to join us in New York or DC for the summer to tell engaging stories across all platforms.
We are a team of designers, journalists, and engineers tasked with making good internet. We work with all of Vox Media’s eight brands on stories like Sarah Kliff’s look at how Obamacare enrollees are getting ready for repeal or Curbed’s 10 Streets that define America. We also work on projects like Verge’s gadget messaging bot and this Final Fantasy 7-inspired trivia game.
This year we’re focusing on visual, audio, and data storytelling across all platforms, and we’re looking for the right intern to help us do it!
Our new teammate is
- Someone who loves collaboration. We need an intern who can collaborate closely with reporters, editors, and Studio teammates to tell engaging stories.
- Someone who can design new storytelling experiences. We’re looking for an intern who can produce wireframes and design mockups, and share their work early and often.
- Someone who can prototype their ideas. We need an intern who can build story experiences using HTML and CSS. We’re looking for someone who is excited to to learn new things.
- Someone who loves the challenge of breaking news. We’re searching for someone who is comfortable working on short news deadlines.
You will learn
- How stories get made. You’ll be a part of our process from ideation to retrospective.
- How design, code, photography, graphics, data, text come together. You’ll be working with professionals from all these backgrounds, so there is space for you to strengthen your understanding of any (or all!) of these languages.
- How it takes a village to make internet. It’s not all puppy gifs and rainbows. Collaborations under time constraints can get well, kinda hard. But that’s where communication and trust works in our favor.
More about our team
- We care about each other. We make time to get to know each other, share stories, and reflect on our week.
- We care about our work. We don’t simply move from project to project, we take time to reflect on each story. We prioritize design research and exploration at the beginning of projects.
- We have a process that empowers you to do your best work. We are constantly iterating on our team process to make it work for everyone: we document everything we do, work hard to ensure we’re not having unnecessary meetings, and reimagine traditional processes like scrum in a way that works best for our team.
Our work matters. We strive to create high-impact journalism that informs and moves our audiences.
View the full job posting and fill out your application here.
About working at Vox Media
We encourage candidates of all experience levels to apply. If the above doesn't describe you perfectly, please apply anyway and tell us why you want to work with us.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.